Thursday, March 28, 2024

More about acrylic inks

 In my last post I shared the background for the chickadee. Here is the completed piece. I used the acrylic inks to paint the bird as well. While they covered beautifully, I was surprised, somehow, at how thick they seemed to me. The bird, while cute, isn't as delicate as I would have liked. I painted this piece on art board.




This is a finch and my attempt here was to use the background as part of the bird and I did succeed. I did make the bird too long so it looks off, to me. I jused the acrylic ink for the background and the bird. In this piece I worked on watercolor paper so that I was able to get the texture of the paper to work for me. The branch that the bird rests on is sort of there and not there because of the mottle of the ink that I magically achieved. I used the spray bottle and tilting and a bit of paper towel do do some blotting. 


So, where do I stand on acrylic ink after four pieces, well really five since I tossed the first piece I did of the finch? I like it for the abstract background but not for painting. I did some nice glazing on the bird and built up the color but didn.t get quite what I was striving for; a sort of delicacy. But I am also pleased that the motor control and strength in my right hand are returned.  So, that said, on to my next medium.

I am now working with Derwent Inktense blocks and pencils. I originally worked with them about 7 years ago and I'm just learning to use them again. This is the piece I just completed. It's the finch. The medium works well. I just need more practice. This painting isn't as good as the one above but, there was greater ease of application. The only hindrance was me. I used a 12 block set and I didn't do as good a job at blending as I could have. But this will change. My next painting will not be a finch.  Stay tuned for more on Derwent Inktense blocks and pencils. I will also be incorporporating the acrylic inks for background art. So, maybe, the best medium is ink but not just one kind. We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment