Monday, March 25, 2024

Acrylic is a water based medium too!

 A few days ago I created a new composition and got out my watercolor paints and brushes and started to work and it was a disaster. I had no control. I just couldn't guide the paints in the direction I wanted to go. I ripped up the canvas and just thought it over. I needed to have control. Better control of my medium. I pulled out my acrylic inks and paints and brushes and markers and some 5 x 5 art boards and started a new project. Well, two and I'm on my third. 

I used the acrylic ink on the background and then drew in and painted the birds. I used the droppers from the ink bottles; in this one blue and white; and sprayed it with a mister and tilted the tile and let it dry. Actually the only reall control I had was what colors to add. I can never duplicate this background. I like it. 



In this painting of the Winged Warbler I used sepia, green, yellow and white in the same manner as I did with the painting of the Robin above and once again I had no control save the color selection. I like it.


I've done this before and I've always enjoyed the serendipitus outcome of letting the colors arrange themselves. Somehow, this is something that I could never do with watercolor. Watercolor requires as much control as it does looseness but with acrylic inks it's letting go.

I do like letting go. 

Then I drew in the birds and painted them with acrylic paints. The video for the Winged Warbler is available for viewing. Just click on the image to watch. There is no narration. I just didn't feel like talking about what I was doing and for the most part, what I was doing was pretty self-evident. Or maybe not. 

So now I am working with acrylics again and experimenting with ways to incorporate watercolor techniques. But I think I'll have to work on watercolor paper for that since canvas and art board really don't absorb water.

Here is a photo of stage 1 of my third painting. I used orange, sepia and white. The image is still wet and settling and takes about 2 hours to dry. But it will be similar to this image. Then I'll draw a chickadee on it and start painting. This time I'm going to try to incorparate the background into the image. I'll let you know when it's done.




 






No comments:

Post a Comment