Monday, February 12, 2024

Making the most of applicator sponges in my Pan Pastel painting


This lovely Pan Pastel Painting of a Papillion is the subject of my latest YouTube Video. Just click on the image above to watch it. The video is just over 1 hour long. 


These are the tools (sponges, applicators and Pan Pastels) that I used to create this portrait. I've found that using them makes my work freer and isn't as taxing on my fingers. I've dealt with arthritis for years but when Covid came along and knocked me out, after brainfog lifted, I found that I just couldn't paint the way I used to. Some how, my hands, my fingers, particularly my right hand, my dominant hand, is weaker; tires more easily.  I have been testing applicator tools and my Pan Pastels since this medium is the easiest for me to use and found that the triangular sponge offers me the greatest range of use. Most of this painting was done using triangular sponges and the background was done with egg shaped sponges. They're just lots of fun. 

I'm no longer worried about realism in my work. Well, of course she looks like a Papillion and of course she's lovely and the painting is fun. But, I'm not concerned with making the fur look real. It's enough for me that you know it's fur. It's enough for me that there's a glint in her eye and a smile on her face. Extra details, fine details, aren't necessary. 



 

2 comments: