Wednesday, November 30, 2022

We wish you a Merry Christmas!

 


Hello and Seasons Greetings. I completed my annual Renard Christmas Card and for the first time, I recorded it so the process is now available on my YouTube Channel. Click on either of the images to watch this video.

Here is the completed Pan Pastel paintings which I drew from life and a photo of Renard. The Tomtes or Gnomes all posed for me as I worked. Renard was downstairs sleeping on the sofa. I worked on 10 x 14 black Stonehenge hotpress watercolor paper.

In Sweden the Tomte is a farm elf or spirit of a long ago ancestor who is attached to and protects a family. The Tomte may live in the barn and is never seen but when you put out milk and porridge for this family friend, it is gone by the next day. This link is to an article with a wonderful explanation of where the Tomte comes from. Swedish illustrator, Jenny Nystrom, defined the appearance of the Jultomte in the many  Christmas cards she created. 



And here is the card. I used the image as a background on a single slide in PowerPoint, added the text and voila! I will print them on 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 cards. Which ever I have on hand. I think that this is our best holiday card ever! I love it. The artwork is still on my drafting table so I can keep looking at it and I finished it two days ago. I believe I'll have to frame it rather than just filing it away.

From Renard and me, "We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!"




No comments:

Post a Comment