Sunday, February 6, 2022

Ever get that feeling?

 Did you ever get that feeling that your art or whatever talents or skills are as good as they are going to get? Do you wonder why you keep watching art tutorials even though you're a professional artist? Have you noticed that your art is pretty much as good or better than most of the artists (working in your medium)? But do you still want to get better? I do. So I experiment. Experimenting. Trying new approaches. Keeping my fingers moving. 

I watch videos of other artists to discover new approaches, new media, and ideas to help me with my introductory art classes. I'm always checking to see if someone has a better idea than I do. I want to see if someone is handling pastels differently than I do. But now, I'm tired of watching other professionals' art demos. It's just time for me to recognize my own abilities. I'm good. I can be better. I can be not better. 

I make YouTube videos as well. I'm not putting them down. But the videos are for the folks who have something more to learn; beginning and intermediate students. Just like everyone else. I follow lots of professional artists and support them with a like and some watch time but I'm just not interested much except as a method of relaxation. That's why I watch old Bob Ross shows. Very relaxing. I know what he's doing and why. But his voice is so soothing. He was such a gentle man. A good teacher.

As I write this I have four videos ready for editing and uploading for my YouTube channel and my Library's Youtube channel. Maybe five. And I have my next Skillshare ust about project ready for recording. Yep. Teaching is what I do even as I create. I am so happy when I get a comment on a new technique I'm trying or my approach to a the medium. That's what I want to convey. And sometimes the new technique is just new to me and my students. Like drawing with a ballpoint pen. That's what I taught in last month's Library Adult Art Class on Zoom. It was fun. It's a great way to trust your drawing ability because you can't erase and white out looks yuckie.  


There are few artists on YouTube who draw magnificent images with a ballpoint pen. Just as fine as any graphite or charcoal masterpiece. Check it out sometime; search for "drawing with a ballpoint pen". And if you haven't and want to see what I do, check out my YouTube Channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment