Friday, September 8, 2023

My Journey back to Pastels...

 In my never ending search for my best medium, I have once again returned to pastels. As much as I like to draw (with graphite) I love even more what happens when I draw and paint with pastel pencils and Pan Pastels.  I'm sure I'll use other media. I have enough to keep me going for several years. But I realized, once again, that I am best when working with pastels.  There is a link to my latest YouTube videos under the images below. One is for the grayscale portrait and one is for the color portrait.  I hope you have the chance to take a look at them.  

I used Faber Castell Pitt Pastel Pencils, the 60 pencil set. I have several sets of pastel pencils and Pan Pastels. I also have a lovely set of soft pastel sticks from Sennelier but I don't often use them. Still, on occasion I do.



I used the grayscale portrait as my base for the color portrait, cover the gray areas with color .


This is my first portrait completed last week. Click on the image to see that video. I must warn you though that this video is nearly 2 hours long so bring some popcorn.


This is the color version. I never touched the black areas of Brix. That's his name. He's a beautiful Doberman I met at Mead Botanical Gardens in Winter Park, Florida. If you click on this image you can watch my second video. It's only 45 minutes long. So, in total, this project only took three hours. 


Although time has nothing to do with the selection of the medium, it is helpful to me that pastels require less time because of arthritis in my fingers. They are, for me, easier to handle, don't require the pressure of colored pencils or graphite and allow me to blend more easily than other media. 


No comments:

Post a Comment