Sunday, March 27, 2022

Paper, picking up where I left off....

 My quest for the best paper for Pan Pastels according to me may have come to an end. I use all the sanded papers and the pastel papers and none let me show the brilliance of the Pan Pastels as do the black papers. Now I know this isn't going to be true for everyone. There are artists obsessed with finding the blackest black of papers, paints, pastels. Others who can't find the perfect paper for watercolors. Mine is hotpress.

I did a drawing with Pan Pastels of a Bullfinch on Canson Mi Tientes Pastel Paper. Here it is. I didn't like it.


But this morning, I stopped working on this image and decided to use my best go to paper. Black. I have black Stonehenge Cold Press Watercolor paper and using only the brilliant Pan Pastels and an occasional erasure, I painted this image of the Bullfinch.



Yep. There is a definite difference between images. Both are freehand drawings but the black paper reacted so strongly with the pastels that my second image had a life that the first did not.

I really do hope I'm done with the great paper search but I had a reading and was told that the right paper is still out there but I'm going to let it come to me. In the meantime this girl is just gonna have fun with Pan Pastels and black paper. 




No comments:

Post a Comment